homestead - Re: [Homestead] Shots or not?

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Shots or not?
  • Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2008 22:54:49 EST

No one has come out and said it so I will. Untreated, rabies is 100% fatal.
Until two years ago, if you did not have the gammaglobulin and vaccine
treatment within a few days, and you developed the disease, that was it.
100% fatal.

Since then a team of doctors developed a method of putting the rabies victim
in a coma to slow down nervous system in a race pitting the immune system's
reaction to vaccine against the damage the virus does. All the people who
have received that treatment have survived the rabies, the last one was a 14
year
old in Brazil a few months ago. BUT they all had some neurological
impairment from the rabies, it just didn't kill them.

The gammaglobulin, one of the first two shots, acts as an antibody to the
virus and greatly attenuates it. Then the course of vaccine shots allows
your
immune system to match the virus before it has a chance to do any dammage.

Get the shots. We'd all take them for you if we could.

James