homestead - Re: [Homestead] Shots or not?

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: "roxann" <roxann AT ancientearthwisdom.com>, <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Shots or not?
  • Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2008 21:58:01 -0800

I'd call these folks and find out if there have been any reported cases of rabid fox in your area. http://www.agfc.com/pdfs/reports/Human%20Rabies%20Post-Exposure%20Treatment%20in%20Arkansas%201994-2000.pdf

Seems to me that since, over a period of 6 years, there were only 4 confirmed cases of rabid fox in AR, that the odds of the fox being rabid aren't very high.

So, I'd do my homework on your area and find out just how many confirmed cases of rabies there have been. And make my decision based on that.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "roxann" <roxann AT ancientearthwisdom.com>

Sage,

I'd consider the choice to be kind of like russian roulette. I sure didn't know the shots cost so much, though! It's enough to make anyone pause and consider the consequences. Would your insurance cover putting you into an artificial coma should it turn out that you actually do have rabies going on in there? I have seen an article that it worked for someone somewhere last year. Apparently normal approaches don't work with this virus (or is it a bacterial infection?) ...or why would they have folks go through all the cost and trouble (or is it like the cancer scare treatments)?

This is going to be educational for me as others give advice...I've often wondered just how much fear mongering is part of the rabies thing, and how much is actual seriousness of the situation. If it were me, I'd have to go into debt and get the shots... just because there doesn't seem to be any reports of 'mild' rabies...it seems to be all or nothing.

Roxann, NW AR
http://blog.ancientearthwisdom.com (Ozark Musings from the homestead)