homestead - Re: [Homestead] Sky-is-falling forecasts

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Sky-is-falling forecasts
  • Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2008 15:56:24 -0800

Ah, Bob, seriously, we have that now. All of those things have been on a
steady increase over the last 15 to 20 years. AND, a lot of folks are *one*
paycheck away from complete disaster.

The system is not going to change, period. That is unless something radical
happens AND, a large part of the problem will have to be laid at the feet of
the very people who you are worried about. Until folks stop with the
sheople business and stop with wanting more and more nanny state, it will
continue to deteriorate!

And, why, pray tell, would you want things to "return to normal"? Normal is a failure. It has created a "me" society of sheople who rarely think for themselves and expect Uncle Sam to provide everything for them. If I hear one more person say "it's not fair," I'll scream. Maybe a truck should drive through every town in the U.S. playing the song "I Never Promised You A Rose Garden." Life ain't fair. Period! The concept of "luck," etc. is a myth. Make your own luck.

I was lucky in that I knew my grandparents and the other greats. These were people born in the 1800s. They didn't expect the government to provide them with health care or to invent jobs for them or to provide half their rent or to provide food stamps or, or, or. They didn't have credit or want it. They saved for what they wanted. It is beyond time that we went back to a cash society!

I think the problem here is that you are looking through glasses whose lenses are still being defined by the government. The government wants you to worry, big time, over the list you gave because that way you won't be inclined to stop and really change how you look at all this stuff. AND how you react to it.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "bobf" <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>

I understand what you are saying , Lynn, and philisophically don't
dis-agree. I simply do not want to see children going hungry; citizens
sick and dying because of inadequate access to decent health-care; homeless
numbers expanding; and all of the consequential social ills that follow
catacysmic economic turmoil and social disorder.

Either way, I will survive, and will try to flourish and prosper. But a
lot of people are three or four paychecks away from complete destitution.
The 'system' is not fair, it is 'instead' cruel and antithetic to social
good. I do not wish ill fortune on the hard working citizens of my
country; and they are exactly the ones who will be hurt most. The system
needs to be changed , but not on the already bent backs of the good and
decent working people.