homestead - Re: [Homestead] Sky-is-falling forecasts

  • From: "Wendy" <crazygardens AT verizon.net>
  • To: <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>, <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Sky-is-falling forecasts
  • Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2008 20:22:25 -0500

Bob, your first paragraph is what is normal for this country. What you are describing is what "business as usual" has brought us. The people who are being tossed out of their homes are those who bought homes they could not afford in the first place. They will just go back to renting. The large unemployment numbers are from the financial sector tossing off their top-heavy load of math juggling staff ie. the life suckers. Businesses are failing due to bad business practices ie extending excessive credit and living on leverage to prop up the books. There are a few real causalities (there were far more causalities from the high oil prices caused by the life-sucking speculators), but I don't think more than have been in the past and I think lots less than have fallen due to the big boys using leverage to force out the smaller, but solid, businesses.

The good hard working people will come out of this better than ever. Gas is now affordable. Property values are falling to where those in the income bracket who lost their over-valued homes due to shoddy lending practices will be able to afford housing again. (BTW we have only seen the tip of the iceberg here. More to come in the next 18mo.) Small businesses will be able to start and operate again. (yes, start-up funding will still be available to legitimate businesses with tangible assets.) I'm excited.

There is a lot of scare tactics going on now. Those who make millions by juggling the books are crapping themselves. It is their panic that is spilling over to us all. They want us to panic and force congress to give them the money to prop up their house of cards. They want us to believe that only by MORE deficit spending sent their way can we survive. Relax. Things will be better for common Joe because of this. Don't let the mass hysteria at the top get to you.

Wendy

I understand what you are saying , Lynn, and philisophically don't dis-agree. I simply do not want to see children going hungry; citizens sick and dying because of inadequate access to decent health-care; homeless numbers expanding; and all of the consequential social ills that follow catacysmic economic turmoil and social disorder.

Either way, I will survive, and will try to flourish and prosper. But a lot of people are three or four paychecks away from complete destitution. The 'system' is not fair, it is 'instead' cruel and antithetic to social good. I do not wish ill fortune on the hard working citizens of my country; and they are exactly the ones who will be hurt most. The system needs to be changed , but not on the already bent backs of the good and decent working people.