homestead - Re: [Homestead] Fitness

  • From: "Lisa K.V. Perry" <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Fitness
  • Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2008 09:08:37 -0500

On the occasional few nicer or warmer days in winter, we take a walk up and
down our dirt road. It's 1.25 mi. each way up and down a couple of hills.
It's a good work-out.

On the other days, we've done yoga or basic stretching followed by some
sit-ups and push-ups. I still struggle with push-ups after breaking my right
radius near my wrist five years ago this February, but I made some progress
this year with stretching and more frequent and regular push-ups.

We have two yoga books (no tapes), one was .25 at the library in the used
book section and the other was a gift years ago.

I have taped yoga shows from the tv and followed those occasionally, but
that generally takes a subscription to cable or DirecTV.

I'm sure your public library has tapes, magazines and books on yoga you
could borrow for free or through interlibrary loan for $1. You could even
photocopy your favorite few poses. *Yoga Journal *always has a section near
the middle where they show a whole series of poses and in every issue they
break down a basic pose into beginner and advanced moves.

I recently bought a Voit exercise 'machine' (non-electric) that is a
knock-off of a Versaclimber. Found it on Craigslist for $35. A dozen years
ago, in another life, we belonged to a Y and I used to love using the
Versaclimber.

You could also perhaps figure out how to convert your bike into a stationary
bike for winter use. Also, every time we go to Goodwill I see a used
exercycle for next to nothing.

Hope that helps.

Lisa