homestead - Re: [Homestead] Fitness

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Fitness
  • Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 21:09:59 -0800

There isn't a magic number. All the programs I set up start with "just a few" once a day. When that seems easy AND if you don't find it boring, then increase to twice a day. Then gradually add more reps. DO NOT EVER exercise until it hurts! If 5 sit-ups is easy, then do 5 for a week and then add 5. If that feels like too much, reduce it to 7. Aim for a total of 50 at a sitting.

And the "if you don't find it boring" is very important. People who do too much and find it too repetive are the ones who quit. Keep it interesting. Vary the routine.

BTW, the best calorie burning exercise is dancing! Do some stretching before and then plop in a CD that you enjoy that really gets you moving. It builds cardio-vascular and burns calories!

Ah, you do realise that if you build muscle you won't loose as much weight? Muscle weighs more than fat. And, just curious, why wouldn't you want to do non-cardio exercises. Dancing, which is a cardio exercise, builds muscle and flexibility.

I just knew you were going to be a smartass James.. I just knew it! ;)
I wasn't asking for a freakin' gym membership, just want to know how
many situps I should be doing, stretching exercises that will improve my
flexibility, and repetitive weight training to build muscle...I need to
know how much, how many reps, and how often...I'd hate to over do it and
hurt myself or under exercise and waste my time..
So, James, tell me how you would go about losing 50 pounds with
stretching, flexibility and weight training exercises over the period of
a year's time? That is an easy pound a week... Remember, I don't want
to make any changes in diet, just add non-cardio exercise (to the
homestead routine and the biking) which will improve my strength(build
muscle) and flexibility....
Saying something as general as 'farmwork by hand' doesn't count...it is
too vague, and there is no way to know whether or not it is better than
"an exercise program" which is also vague. I think in general, the
more exercise you get the better, but it has to be tailored for the
individual. You may need more flexibility exercises to protect your
shoulders from all that back patting you are doing, and I might need
more flexibility exercises to protect my hips from putting my foot in my
mouth. :)

Bev

Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:

Well there is this one homestead list I could put you in touch with.
There's one nut case there who does all the farmwork by hand and
actually has the audacity to say that it's better than an exercise
program. Takes all kinds, I suppose.

hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda