homestead - Re: [Homestead] Go ld -- feel free to ignore

  • From: Leslie <cayadopi AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Go ld -- feel free to ignore
  • Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2008 19:45:12 -0800 (PST)

Well, what those people did is move their business & investment ops to Dubai
- tax free, and they had changed their mind I think last spring +/-, thinking
that Dubai would be the financial center of the world, whereas before that
they were just going to move the CA office to the UK office, instead CA went
to Dubai and not sure if they are going to close the UK office.  Last I heard
their Asia office was still open, but a lot has happened.  I rarely hear from
him anymore, opposite time zones.  I do know they were also worried about
anotheh war in the mid-east and last year they were adamant about being out
the US no later than summer of this year.

I did consider leaving and spent quite a bit of time researching.  I'm fairly
bi-lingual so a move south of the border language wise wouldn't be a problem.
I did start to think that this isn't a US-centric problem but a global
problem, so axed the plans.  My plans changed to seek a more remote area in
the US, far enough away from the city where I could grow food.  Can't say the
desert was my destination, but that's where I currently am.  I have been
stunned by the things they grow here.

It's a lot cooler here than in your area (Phoenix?)  I only used my A/C 10
days over the summer (when it got over 100), and used a portable swamp cooler
for about 10 days.  I've been heating up to 41-45, and just put a sweatshirt
on.  I'm doing this on purpose to make sure that survival is possible without
heat or very little heat.  My fuel consumption is low - from March 08 - Dec
any day now, I've only used one tall RV sized bottle of LP for my
cooking/heating needs.  Same with my electric, very low use.  There are solar
powered fridge/freezers available, pricey, but not a bad idea.  Solar water
heat is no problem here... LOL, until the winter.

I can't say that 10 years ago I was consciously at the homesteader level, but
I was already moving down that path to a certain degree.  At first I thought
that I would just move to a very rural area in FL, but the more I looked, I
changed my mind - not to mention I never want to go thru a hurricane again.
I'm not sure exactly how long ago I started consciously thinking more about
it.  Due to circumstances that for a while were out of my control, I was not
able to make the move until this past year.

At lot of things I've done the past few years fall into the what can I do
without category (although I wasn't much of a shopper to begin with)  and
what do I need to help me become more self-sufficient.  I found out there are
packing houses in the area that sell off these big varmint proof plastic
bins, which might come in very handy for storing dried beans, etc.

I'm going to do the best I can.... I'm expecting that I will be eating a lot
of very strange meals... LOL, unless my thumbs turn green fast.

Hey, did you read the blip on Argentina basically seizing pension plans a few
weeks back (equivalent of IRA, 401(k), etc).... I had read years ago that
governments would resort to that citing "in the national interest" type stuff.

I even talked to a few other people I know from all over the country to see
if they were interested in moving to an area together and working together.
No takers, yet....so it is going to be tough alone.    Some people I talk to
don't even consider that there could be food shortages, etc. just over the
horizon.

Well except for one, who will only show up after it becomes a reality...
Reminds of that children's story,,,, who will help me plant the wheat, not
i.... who will help me water the wheat? not it.... etc until it turned into
who will help me eat the bread, i will.... LOL