homestead - Re: [Homestead] Go ld -- feel free to ignore

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: bobford79 AT yahoo.com, Homestead List <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Go ld -- feel free to ignore
  • Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2008 18:59:36 -0500

bob ford wrote:
You ahven't even gotten your deer yet, and you are going to help defend your hamlet ? Bev, I'm teasing,

I know you are teasing, Bob, but remember that deer and much craftier
and quieter than the average guy walking through the woods. Last year,
I was standing next to a tree on the edge of the pasture and had been
there for about 45 minutes, motionless, gun resting on a branch of a
adjacent sapling. I heard what I thought was a step on the hill behind
me..as I turned slowly to look, a doe was less than 10 feet from me, and
I had not even heard her until she stepped on that stick. We saw each
other at the same time. No, I did not shoot her. A running deer is not
that great to eat, and by the time I would have gotten my gun around and
aimed, I would probably have missed anyway.

I have been writing about my hunting adventures, or lack thereof, in an
attempt to make a point that hunting is not as simple as just having a
gun. Now, ITSHTF, I will out there after dark with the gun, but for
now, that is illegal and I will abide by the law. A lot of folks think
it is easy to hunt, or garden or otherwise provide for themselves, but
they don't realize that it takes a lot of time and energy.

Beleive me, no body in the city is sitting around planning how to best invade the rural hamlets to steal people's rutabaga harvests. But, in this world where I live, even in nice, affluent, secure parts
of the city; a person can be harmed or killed for his watch and (possibly empty) wallet.

Bob, I don't think people are intentionally planning to come here and
take what is mine. The way I see it happening-if it does- is that after
a period of time, people will finally give up on the authorities and
begin migrating to other areas where they think help might be..for
example, maybe the people of Chattanooga might think there would be XYZ
in Atlanta or Nashville...or maybe the people over in Summerville would
be heading down to Atlanta..I don't necessarily think that the 'hordes'
will initially be coming from the big city. They may, more likely, be
from small cities and suburbs. The authorities will provide as long as
they can for those in the cities, so people will migrate inward before
they migrate outward. I see an inward migration, a lot of violence, and
then a violent outward migration. Hopefully, time wise, we never see
that outward migration, as by then 'help' will have arrived, but you
never know.

hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda