homestead - Re: [Homestead] Go ld -- feel free to ignore

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: bobford79 AT yahoo.com, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Go ld -- feel free to ignore
  • Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2008 17:49:31 -0500

To answer the first question...this is a very defensible area. There is
only one road in and out of here...it is easily blocked off. It gets
blocked accidentally with almost every storm, and the people who live out
here are pretty much left to unblock it by ourselves...we are low
priority on such things..in the past, our personal 911 response time has
been a minimum of 28 minutes..Anyway, if blocked,then the shortest walk
becomes 2.5 mile walk, through the woods, creeks, ridges,,,,home turf to
anyone(maybe even me) of the number of people who live here that decided
to block the road...The woods are too thick for horses or bikes at
present, so they would need a good machete, too. From the state
highway, which is 15 miles from the nearest town, there are two ways in,
which again, can be easily blocked, and would be blocked, in the worse
case scenario WTSHTF. If it is blocked there, then the hike becomes
more like 6 miles or 7 miles, through swampy terrain on the low side,
steep ridge terrain on the high side.....that is from the South...From
the North, East or West one would have a helluva walk/climb..no roads,
just National Forest...like James said,,,billy goats and
nosebleeds..lol(OMG, I said Billy Goats, didn't I?<g>..bucks bucks bucks!)
I suppose someone could fly in on an ultralight, there are a few around,
or work their way through on foot with machete and/or horse or dirtbike
or however they think they can get there, BUT like I said before,
whoever has blocked the road will be watching and waiting out in the
woods...

As to Ron, he doesn't do craft type items, although he has made me a few
cutouts (like my Diggin' Dog) and some whirligigs..... He builds mostly
furniture and cabinetry and canoes..he's a good carpenter, too....builds
decks and such..
He has made most of our decent furniture-will make a bed next...
Judging by the prices of woodstrip canoes, I think we could survive if
he built 3 a year...of course, there has to be a market for such, and in
this economy, pleasure and decorative items are the first cuts we make.
Yes, some rich people buy wood strip canoes and hang them or mount them
inside on the wall or from the ceiling...they never see water..they are
indeed a work of art.

bob ford wrote:
Who is creating this construct that everyone will be on foot, and alone. I think people watch too much television and read too many horror tales, still .............

p.s. Bev, what kind of 'woodworking does Ron do? Does he build cabinets or craft type items or what?