homestead - Re: [Homestead] Go ld -- feel free to ignore

  • From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Go ld -- feel free to ignore
  • Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2008 18:26:14 -0500

Part of what you wrote is correct, Lynn. But, think about this; you 'don't' live in the city. Do you really feel like you are 'in cintrol'?. If your answer is yes, remind me again of why you are afraid to sell a silly gallon of milk.

What being in the city, and then visiting rural areas does accomplish is to give a person perspective on some ideas like 'power of numbers', 'dependence upon municipal utilities' ; 'dependence on food distribution'; things like that. In the city, I could see total chaos, within a few weeks, for the people 'left' in the city. Those of us who are able, though, will have left the city, and headed toward the rural areas; some of us to family and friends with only good intent; others; the direction and intent will be different.

That's what I mean by being 'in control'...not that I can do anything I want, but that I'm not nearly as dependent on municipalities or food distribution. Also I know and trust my neighbors, which I didn't in the city.

Once something happens, it's too late to head for the hills. I've been doing this for 12 years, and I still have crop failures and lots of things going wrong...it's a BIG learning curve. I'm learning that it's more about learning to deal with the failures, not prevent them...always have a plan B, and C, and D, and an emergency plan....I have 4 or 5 different ways to get hay to the cows, depending on weather conditions and which vehicles are running....the family rolling the bale down the street is the final 'emergency' plan.

Lynn Wigglesworth