homestead - Re: [Homestead] It's almost over

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <vdjor AT yahoo.com>, <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] It's almost over
  • Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2008 15:50:24 -0800

He got the standard college deferments. Then he got one because he was a Rhodes Scholar (there were special deferments for Rhodes Scholars). Then he enrolled in the ROTC and got an ROTC deferment but had it set up to start during the summer after the current college year. He then went back to Oxford and got some special something or another with his local draft board. After he was finished at Oxford, he gave up his deferments. His birthday came up 311 which guaranteed he wouldn't be drafted. Plus, by then Nixon had determined that only 19 year olds should be called.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "VAN DELL JORDAN" <vdjor AT yahoo.com>

I'm wondering if any here remembers what Clinton did to dodge the draft. I heard someone say he went to Canada to escape the draft, can't imagine if he did that it would have been headline news everyday of every campaign??? I know there were college deferrals, that would have been available to anyone who had the funds to attend college. He and I are about the same age so by the time he graduated the number system came into play. Did he have a high number and had to take other measures?
Van Dell