homestead - Re: [Homestead] It's almost over

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] It's almost over
  • Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2008 13:18:13 -0500

Absolutely not...92 was the year of Ross Perot, and being the third
party aficianado that I am, I voted for Perot, both in 92 and in 96.
Like I have said, I may not even like the candidate, but if there a
third, he will get my support.
And as far as draft dodging, I had to go back and refresh myself on
Clinton-couldn't recall his details, but I think Saxby was worse than
Clinton. Both went to great lengths to avoid the draft. If they were
truly a conscientious objector or had honest religious reason that were
maybe stretched(like Mitt's mission to France), it would be one
thing...but to go to the lengths to avoid service that these men did,
well, that doesn't fly with me. I really dislike Al Gore, but at least
the guy did his tour in Vietnam as a photojournalist, and Kerry is about
as far left as Bill Ayers<g>, but he served(who can forget those three
purple hearts?) and I respect that...Draft dodging may be more accepted
in other parts of the country, but in my mind, you better have a good
reason. Saxby did not. He took 4 or 5 deferments, depending on how
you count it..and near the end claimed he had a bum knee. You should
know that he has always been an athlete, and is a serious golfer. But
that is only part of the reason I called him an SOB. Someone with a
record like that, IMO, should be making up for it somehow, maybe like,
in their voting record..Saxby's record has been poor in support of
veterans. In 2002, he was running for his seat against Max Cleland, a
Vietnam Vet who is a triple amputee. Chambliss questioned his
leadership, patriotism, and commitment to fighting the war in Iraq and
Afghanistan. IMO, that's too far.
If there are any of you out there who avoided the draft, well, I suppose
you had your reasons. To me, it has always seemed hypocritical for
someone to do that, and then to stand up and say, I want to represent
you in Congress(or president or whatever office)...I want to serve you,
the people..yada yada...
I believe that people either believe in public service or they don't.
In the time of a draft, when service to one's country is needed to the
point of being mandated, then if one avoids that mandate, that tells me
that he most likely values his own life over that of his fellow man. I
suppose there is not much wrong with that-it may even be the natural
reaction, and in fact I can think of many legitimate, honorable reasons
to avoid being drafted(new father, ailing parent, etc.etc) in addition
to being a conscientious objector. We each make the best decision we
can for ourselves and our families. But there are always some who are
just, as Saxby has been called, a Chicken Hawk..and in my opinions,
Chicken Hawks need to lay low, not run for political office. Many
people go into politics not because they want to serve their fellow man,
but because they want the fame and the power...their ego calls
them..Saxby is one of those people, I think.
In contrast, Jim Martin actually had polio as a child, and yet, he did
not use that as any kind of excuse. He served his tour in Vietnam. I
don't agree with this man's politics any more than I agree with
Chambliss', but from a personal perspective, this speaks to Jim Martin's
character. He's kind of middle of the road, and appeals to people in
both parties, i.e., he steps across the aisle. He's a bit soft on crime
for my taste, and there are a few other areas where I differ, but in a
normal election, I could vote for the guy.
Here's the irony:
What really sucks is that as I sit here and write this...all against
Chambliss, after I go and vote for the guy...I am no better than the
politicians that I am so disgusted with, those who vote for political
reasons(and lobbyist's greedy offers) and not to represent their
constituents or their own principles. I feel like throwing up.

Bev

rayzentz AT aim.com wrote:
Bev, didn't you vote for Clinton years ago? I am not remembering for sure. If I remember correctly, and you did, why does the draft dodging bit bother you now?

Just curious.

Ray

hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda