homestead - Re: [Homestead] Our digital trail - "Orwellian future"

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Our digital trail - "Orwellian future"
  • Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2008 13:05:08 -0500

Lynn Wigglesworth wrote:

I AM against real invasions of privacy, like warrentless wiretapping.
That's why I voted for a presidential candidate who was agaisnt all
of that sort of stuff. I see these "databases" of information against
people as being pretty unlikely, but I see bigger threats to our
freedoms actually happening today.

I used to think that passive gathering of information was okay, too. I
just don't anymore because people are unscrupulous and corrupt.
Information is power, and the more I can hold onto what is mine, the
more power I personally retain...that's what I hope, anyway.

If we are so afraid of the power of these databases ("they are going
to get me") that we are too afraid to speak out against the current
stealing of our rights, then they have served their purpose, whether
they exist or not.

I think the general disagreement here is public vs. private information.
IMO, it started with something as simple as sharing mailing lists for
gardening catalogs and there is really no end in sight. I respect that
you don't believe it will go as far as I think it will, and for you
personally, you may fare better than the average Joe because of where
you live and how you live...you are probably outside of that 100 miles
from the coast/border thing, too.

They've created a submissive population, too afraid to speak or act.

On that, we can agree.

hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda
http://www.myspace.com/tervetuloa13