homestead - Re: [Homestead] Our digital trail - "Orwellian future"

  • From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Our digital trail - "Orwellian future"
  • Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2008 07:41:08 -0500

So are you saying, Lynn, that since it's still possible in some rural
locations to make purchases with cash from stores that do not use itemized
receipts that there's no need to be concerned about the erosion of privacy?

I guess the difference is that I don't believe 'they' track us to the extent some people believe. I don't believe that they keep databases on my grocery purchases, or anything else that I buy. Why bother tracking everyone when it's far easier to just control what food is on the shelf? Make illegal anything that interfers with the plans of your corporate overlords (like raw milk or labeling GMO food).

I don't believe that 'they' know much of what goes on in my life...they know I own a farm and a truck, they know where I live, they know (some of) the money I make (some is legally not reportable). "They' know where I went to school and who has employed me. "They" can easily find out that I don't have much money in the bank or what my electric bill is. I don't consider any of that 'private' information. I suppose they could even track what books I buy online with my credit card, but since I buy used books, the booksellers would have to be involved and add the name of the book and my name to some database.

I AM against real invasions of privacy, like warrentless wiretapping. That's why I voted for a presidential candidate who was agaisnt all of that sort of stuff. I see these "databases" of information against people as being pretty unlikely, but I see bigger threats to our freedoms actually happening today. If we are so afraid of the power of these databases ("they are going to get me") that we are too afraid to speak out against the current stealing of our rights, then they have served their purpose, whether they exist or not. They've created a submissive population, too afraid to speak or act.

Lynn Wigglesworth