homestead - Re: [Homestead] Our digital trail - "Orwellian future"

  • From: bob ford <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Lynn Wigglesworth <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Our digital trail - "Orwellian future"
  • Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2008 09:21:20 -0800 (PST)

BO and the congress do get thousands of emails every week. They have filters
that count and discard them. That was true of faxes before the internet. A
(non-form type) personal letter is still the best way to get the attention of
a politician's office. They do read the personal letters.

And, they will take stats from phone calls. Mass emails are like junk mail
to politicians.

I have never seen a demonstation accomplish anything. That's not to say I
don't agree with what is being demonstrated for or against; I just see it as
a futile exercise. Hell, the politicians come out and join the
demonstartors. 'can't be too upsetting.

I specifically said that I didn't necessarily agree with the man . My point
was, and is, is that he actually is upsetting the system; if large numbers of
people followed his example the system would have to change. He has a
"right" to go to trial and then appeal. The process cost the 'state' time
and money.

The Constitution guarantess a speedy trial. The number is in the high 90% of
'all' cases, civil and criminal, never go to trial. They are settled, paid,
plea-bargained, etc. The system would shut down if people simply exercised
their Constitutional rights, as this man is doing.