homestead - Re: [Homestead] Our digital trail - "Orwellian future"

  • From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Our digital trail - "Orwellian future"
  • Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2008 13:30:11 -0500

think the general disagreement here is public vs. private information.
IMO, it started with something as simple as sharing mailing lists for
gardening catalogs and there is really no end in sight. I respect that
you don't believe it will go as far as I think it will, and for you
personally, you may fare better than the average Joe because of where
you live and how you live...you are probably outside of that 100 miles
from the coast/border thing, too.

I do care about important infringements, but I can't get too worked up about "they might" or "they can", when there is no proof that they ARE doing it. As I said in another post, my grocery store's website swears that they never share (give or sell) customer information from the Wildcard.

My point was that some people are so afraid that 'they' are collecting information and can "get" them, that they won't even spell out Patriot Act in an email, let alone fight against it (I don't mean to pick on you, Bob, but you are the most obvious). Once we lose freedom of speech, whether through laws or fear of government reprisal, they've got us where they want us..

Today I sent more emails to all my reps telling them that I don't want uniformed military acting (againt federal law) inside the US. I also gave them my opinion of Homeland Security, and how it is taking away personal liberties and shouldn't be backed up by armed military. Watching for black helpcopters.....

Lynn Wigglesworth