homestead - Re: [Homestead] Our digital trail - "Orwellian future"

  • From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Our digital trail - "Orwellian future"
  • Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2008 07:55:04 -0500

Databases get cross-linked and combined...you mentioned BiLo..you go
into BiLo, grab some Kraft Mac and Cheese, Hot dogs, and some potato
chips...Bilo may sell their data to another company, which in turn sells
to another...and the next thing you know, your insurance rates have
gone up because the last time you went to the doc your blood pressure
was a bit elevated and some computer somewhere associated that rise with
all the high fat foods you've been buying.

That's the part I don't believe. I watch bureaucrats struggle, trying to figure out who I am or where my information went...I can't imagine that 'they' could manage anything so complex.

Anyway, I don't have insurance or go to doctors. To me, skyrocketing health care costs that don't allow a normal citizen to get health care without going into debt is a far more serious problem. If, for example, my appendix were to get inflammed, I'd have to decide if I risk dying or risk losing everything through bankruptcy...not a pretty choice. That's the kind of thing I worry about. It's not a 'potential' problem; it's real and people are struggling right now because of it.

Lynn Wigglesworth