homestead - Re: [Homestead] Our digital trail - "Orwellian future"

  • From: bob ford <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Lynn Wigglesworth <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Our digital trail - "Orwellian future"
  • Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2008 09:09:50 -0800 (PST)

Lynn , it was signed into law last December, The following was taken from the
2005 Act and incorporated into the 2008 Act I guess it just took a democrat
congress. ' from within the Act:

"Amends HSA to direct the Secretary to: (1) regulate the sale and transfer of
ammonium nitrate to prevent its misappropriation or use in a terrorist act;
(2) establish a threshold percentage for a substance to be treated as
ammonium nitrate; (3) establish a process by which ammonium nitrate facility
owners and ammonium nitrate purchasers are required to register with DHS and
are issued a registration number; and (4) require facility owners to maintain
a record of each sale or transfer of ownership of ammonium nitrate for two
years. Sets forth provisions regarding: (1) exempting persons producing,
selling, or purchasing ammonium nitrate exclusively for use as an explosive
material under a federal explosives license; (2) ensuring that access of
agricultural producers to ammonium nitrate is not unduly burdened; (3)
restricting the disclosure of information obtained under this section; (4)
inspecting and auditing facility owner records to prevent the
misappropriation of ammonium nitrate; and (5) timely reporting of the theft
or unexplained loss of ammonium nitrate.
Prohibits: (1) buying and taking possession of ammonium nitrate, or owning or
operating an ammonium nitrate facility, without a registration number; or (2)
failing to comply with any requirement of this section. Prescribes a civil
penalty. Sets forth provisions regarding protections from civil liability and
preemption. Sets deadlines for regulations. Authorizes appropriations. "

""H.R. 1680: Secure Handling of Ammonium Nitrate Act of 2007
To authorize the Secretary of Homeland Security to regulate the sale of
ammonium nitrate to prevent and deter the acquisition of ammonium nitrate by
terrorists, and for other purposes.

Last Action: Dec 26, 2007: Provisions of Measure Incorporated into Section
563 of Title V of Division E of H.R. 2764. "

H.R.2764 ...... Signed by the President on December 26, 2007