homestead - Re: [Homestead] Living the good life on 5000 a year

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Living the good life on 5000 a year
  • Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2008 09:58:38 -0600

People get -- and always have -- life-threatening diseases like cancer
and heart disease. Plus, they have structural problems (mostly their
spines but also hips and knees wear out) some relatively early,
depending on use. Contemporary medicine is really good at fixing some
of this stuff, but it's pricey. You pays your entrance fee and you
takes your chances. A positive attitude certainly helps recovery, but
while it may stave off some stuff, it's not going to help you if you
have, say, a gene that disposes you to breast cancer. The Scots-Irish
are hardy and not prone to much except depression, so anything we say
about health being a state of mind can be ignored. For us it is; not
so much for others of different genetic heritage.

Marie