homestead - Re: [Homestead] Living the good life on 5000 a year

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Living the good life on 5000 a year
  • Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 20:05:30 EST

Ok, my fellow Homestead Listers,

What's the mystery? I don't like talking about the particulars of my
existence because there are too many people who just don't believe you and it
isn't
worth it.

Some years ago I ceased grubbing for the bucks in my field of endeavor (LIMS,
specifically pharmaceutical LIMS [Laboratory Integrated Management Systems]).
Life was passing by and this is NOT the sort of role model I want for my
children.

So we began to do the subsistence, direct economy thing in good earnest.
Mine is a family of six, we live in a 1200 sq ft house, maintian two (bottom
feeder) vehicles, and as you can see manage to keep a dialup web connection.
We
do not have health insurance preferring rather to invest our effort in
health.
Children get annual medical and dental checkups.

Last tax year, 2007, our total income was $6000. This year it is less. We
have no other or unreported cash income, no SS, disability, stipend, pension,
annuity, nothing. We are not tapping into savings. In fact we didn't
actuall
spend all the $6000 we had coming in.

Our taxes are paid, our farm and house and vehicles are insured. We eat
better than most people in the world, and we have no unfulfilled wants.

If this guy is going all year by himself spending $5000, he's a spendthrift!

There is nearly nothing that one does with cash now that can't be done
without it, or very nearly without it. And it gets to be a habit finding the
'no
cash' way.

James --- the uber-pauper.