homestead - Re: [Homestead] Jersey cows

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Jersey cows
  • Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2008 09:40:34 -0600

On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 9:28 AM, <Clansgian AT wmconnect.com> wrote:

>> >She was as well behaved as any we had ever had, but my hands are small and
>> her tits (sorry, but in our community even polite little old ladies used
>> that word)
>
> It's the common word here too, only it's generally spelled 'teats' and the
> variation in pronunciation is subtle.

Same here, but it sounds closer to tits except when spoken by people
with expensive show goats (probably because they finally saw the word
in print).

My brown Swiss stories are legion, but I have to say that the last one
we had milked without being rebred for over a decade. She was the one
who had the bad habit of emptying her bladder shortly after you
started milking. Quick action could save both you and the milk. As my
father said of her, There's something wrong with every cow. With this
cow, it's pissing. Dad was rarely given to crudity of speech.

My objection to her was that she was damn near impossible to catch on
those occasions when she decided being milked was not on her agenda.
Probably was a reason that I was skinny and wirey in those days.

Marie