homestead - Re: [Homestead] Living the good life on 5000 a year

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Living the good life on 5000 a year
  • Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2008 11:37:10 -0600

On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 10:47 AM, Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com> wrote:
> Seems to me that genetic predisposition is both knowable and
> preventable. I think that much of what is called genetic
> predisposition is because of historical family habits in eating,
> exercising, attitudes, and environmental conditions in the places
> lived. I look at family medical history as informational and useful,
> so I know what to guard against.

I suppose, unless you have something like BRCA1 or BRCA2 mutations. Of
course a womanl so afflicted could have her breast tissue and ovaries
removed, so in that sense the cancer is preventable. I'd bet good
money that susceptibility to other cancers will be found in the genes.
Sure, some are environmental (but then the environment is less under
individual control now than at any time in history). Don't smoke,
don't drink, eat right and maybe 70 percent of illnesses will pass you
by.

Marie