homestead - Re: [Homestead] Give up the dream? My dilemma

  • From: "roxann" <roxann AT ancientearthwisdom.com>
  • To: "homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org" <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Give up the dream? My dilemma
  • Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 13:56:36 +0000

Bob,

The doing it alone isn't the part I'm worried about anyway. I'm sure I can
manage with hired help now and then for that part. The thing that bothers me
is the choice itself between staying or going. My youngest is 12. He was
thrilled to be here, too, until his dad started the rumbles of leaving. He
was quick to jump on that bandwagon. I think with him it has less to do with
what he really wants and more to do with being afraid to put down roots if
they're going to be pulled again. the first move was hard on everyone. my
oldest son and i took to the new place right away, immersing ourselves fully.
my daughter took a bit longer and never fully came around and always said she
wanted to go back and attend LSU when she graduated. to do that more
affordably, she'll need to attend her senior year in Louisiana so she'll have
residence status. I was prepared for hubbie and her to leave for that
purpose. what i was not prepared for is that my husband is not planning to
return and is not interested at all in homesteading ever again. if it were up
to him, he'd walk away from the house we're building and let the land go to
the bank (we used $50K worth of it for collateral to build the house) and be
done with it altogether. To follow him means giving up entirely for me, too.
I don't think I can do that.

Your experience with wishing you'd acted sooner but haven't, is the kind of
feedback I'm asking for. I wonder if anyone else has made the move and then
had their family revolt and issue an ultimatum? What was your choice and did
you regret it later? Of course I am the only one who can make the choice, but
I'd like to hear other's experiences.

Roxann, NW AR
http://blog.ancientearthwisdom.com (Ozark Musings from the homestead)