homestead - Re: [Homestead] Give up the dream? My dilemma

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: roxann <roxann AT ancientearthwisdom.com>, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Give up the dream? My dilemma
  • Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 18:03:25 -0500

roxann wrote:

I have a good job and it's likely to be able to weather hard times. And I feel the same way about staying put for that reason, too. My husband will be going into agricultural or plastics manufacturing, the chemical industry we both came up here to get away from. I don't see that lasting too long under current economic conditions. Although
the plants are all expanding right now, they're doing so after
having all that approved during the boom and it takes a long time for
the wheels to start turning to get started building, but it doesn't
take them long to make layoff decisions during bust times.

Having just left a job in the chemical industry(adhesives)that relied
heavily on petrochemicals, and plastics manufacturing does as well, I
can verify that times are tough. There are raw material shortages,
credit freeze ups, and other considerations like the price of oil and
hurricanes that have really taken a toll. It is not a depression proof job.

We had a discussion, or rather, ~I had a discussion yesterday with him about all this. When his company laid him off 7 years ago, we decided that I would go back to work (I had been out 7 years also) and he would take this chance to find his niche in life, do what makes him happy, since he had been miserable working shift work at a job he hated. But he just got more and more depressed and unhappy as time went on and my life was miserable with him. He complained (and still does) incessantly about everything and is happy about nothing.

I probably should not say this, but this is really starting to sound
like Lynn and Brian. Brian, IIRC, was really unhappy before he left. I
recall Lynn saying the same things. And if Brian is out there somewhere
reading this, know that I do still think about you and miss your input
here. IMO, there is no crime in being unhappy and depressed.

3 years ago I told him that I had to make this move up here now or I would buy the land with money I'd saved and I'd be moving up here after the kids were grown with or without him. He's the one who decided we could do it now rather than later. During our discussion about this it dawned on me what the problem is. He doesn't know what makes him happy. I know exactly what makes me happy. And apparently it is not the same thing that makes him happy. ..he still doesn't know what that is.

You have your answer Roxann.

i'm grateful for y'all. this list is the only source of these kinds of opinions i can call on. no one else really understands what all is
at stake, lol.

Many of us have been there. It is not easy, but even as bleak as it may
seem now, it can still work out. People do have mid life crisises. It
may not turn out like you think, but it will find an equilibrium and
things will be okay, for everyone.

Bev

hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda