homestead - Re: [Homestead] was Who's Da Best, now derision of politicians

  • From: SJC <indexer AT localnet.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] was Who's Da Best, now derision of politicians
  • Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2008 17:05:29 -0500

bob ford wrote:
Yea, Susan, I know it comes with the territory, but the venom and hate thrown at this perfectly nice person is just terrible..
You are missing the point. Territory problems abound; where the issues go out of bounds is where they hold themselves up to be something they aren't, or if they are (in this case exercising good judgment or an intellectual), something that doesn't show....
Maybe with Quayle didn't seem as bad, because you didn't see regular people
taking cue from media and ussing invective.
Certainly they did where I lived. In fact, in the beginning it was driven by the public, but the press of course doesn't like to let anything slip by.....
Plus, Quayle was Ivy League, Silver Spoon, 'to the manor born'. A lot of
his opportunities came to him through daddy and connections. This woman did
it all on her own. And, maybe, I'm being a bit sexist thinking a man like
quayle or Ford can 'take it' better than a woman.
So because Quayle had money and background he is better able to 'take it'? What, those of us without said money and background are less able to 'take it'? Pfffttt. And he didn't seem to take it all that well, if you will recall he was pretty surly about the whole thing back when it started. She seems to be taking it a lot better than he did.
As for the baby, as I told moon, I can only guess, but that is personal. The
media , without trying hard can do a lot of personal damage.
And again you miss the point. There is no guess to it. While the decision to do as she did was indeed a personal one, the issue is that it's a matter of judgment, not preferences. Once the amniotic sac is breached, timing is important because the infant is no longer unprotected from infection. The longer the membranes are ruptured, the greater the risk of developing an infection. In only about one out of 10 labors does the amniotic sac rupture many hours before birth, generally it is a part of the active process and indeed sometimes has to be done manually. Especially is this true in repeat mothers. So it is strictly a matter of keeping the infant safe. This whole thing is especially important in "at-risk pregnancy" where the infant may have a lower-than-normal ability to fend off infection.
So the idea that one would deliberately, in a 5th, and known at-risk, pregnancy, in such circumstances get on a multi-hour flight where no facilities or medical care is available, calls into question one's ability to make good judgment/s. Such a person then held herself up as able and willing to make good judgment/s on the behalf of an entire nation. My mind runs along the line of....she didn't take even cautionary steps to protect her own child, then bragged about that.....hmmm, don't think I want to be at the butt end of decisions made by this person. That's where it gets unpersonal.
And again, if she didn't want people talking about it, at least try keep it out of public eye. Don't go yammering about how tough you were. The medical community and mothers of the country, among others, are likely to see it as foolish, if not dangerous, rather than tough.

I've heard that Amy Carter has had problems all of her life , because of
the derision when she lived in White House.
Not germane. We don't depend on our leader's children to lead us, to make decisions in our best interest. I've never heard anyone make derisive comments about Amy Carter. She was a kid when in the White House, maybe 9 or 10, when she went there if I remember right, was sent to public school, had a cat and a treehouse, that's about all I ever heard about her. No matter, that's a whole different deal. She's out of the picture in this discussion.
SusanJane, in Maine