homestead - [Homestead] was Who's Da Best, now derision of politicians

  • From: SJC <indexer AT localnet.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] was Who's Da Best, now derision of politicians
  • Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2008 15:14:49 -0500

bob ford wrote:
I swear the venom from some women I have heard on tv, and on web, in print, makesm me think there might be some weird envy of a person unknown (not from you, Moon). Palin has been gracious to a fault, and mistreated more by the press than anyone I've seen that didn't commit a disgusting type of felony.
Hey, Bob---remember Dan Quayle? He was mistreated 'way worse, and before the internet; they could have done an even worse (better?) job on him if they'd just had the internet :-) . I don't even remember much about the guy except some of his inanelies and the way he was subsequently butchered. So they've got a way to go on Palin.

The press openly laid in wait for him, and of course his political opponents had a heyday, too, even leading to the term/ /"Quaylism", which is sometimes heard even today/ . / He, like George W, had a propensity to make inane, nonsensical statements (One I remember was "I have made good judgments in the past. I have made good judgments in the future."; those silly things lodge themselves in one's brain), and it makes them easy targets for pundits, then that gets out of hand, and.....there they go...

Any politician, or aspiring politician, in this country lays themselves wide open to such. Palin's "accent" set her up, so did her claim to clean Christian living after "having" to get married, mothers and medical people took issue (as did I) with her judgment as a mother (I can't think of having an "at risk" 5th pregnancy, water breaking, then getting on a multi-hour plane flight.) and so on. Those things didn't bear up to being bragged on; they'd have been better left off the 'Look at me and my history' list......as would Quayle's claim to be an intellectual when the man couldn't spell (I know many very smart folks who can't spell worth a toot, but spelling skill is taken rightly or wrongly in our society as a measure of intelligence) or reliably form a sentence to mean what he really wanted to say. All it takes is a start like that, and ridicule is guaranteed to follow, no matter the person.
People all make mistakes, but to make those kinds of mistakes, then hold yourself up as a positive example will bring derision, whether in a group around the pickle barrel or in front of a nation. In politics, since a person aspires to be a leader, the situation is intensely exacerbated, and if possible used by opponent/s. It's a given, best avoided, no matter the person.....

SusanJane, in Maine