homestead - Re: [Homestead] was Who's Da Best, now derision of politicians

  • From: SJC <indexer AT localnet.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] was Who's Da Best, now derision of politicians
  • Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2008 19:22:45 -0500

bob ford wrote:
How were you allowed to live in Canada? Can a person just drive to the
Northwest Territories and live ? I wouldn't mind if there is a part without
much snow and not too cold :-) ....bobf

We were there as a part of a long-defunct project.
Don't know what the rules are now, used to be we could go up on a rule that got us a specified period of time, plenty of rules to follow, something like the 'green card' here, except for the time issue.

Then somewhere, I think in the late 60's maybe it was---maybe someone else will know---Canada went to a point system, and all the old rules went out the door. Recently I heard they have relaxed those rules somewhat, but what changes they made, I've no clue, and although I knew at one time about the point system as it started out, I don't remember. I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to find the info. We have a lot of Canadians living here as we are surrounded on 2 1/2 sides or so by Canada, people marry back and forth, if US citz can get into Canada, that's usually the way the go, because of the health care system, but if that doesn't work the Canadians come down here. Don't know how much trouble that is, either, but I'm sure much easier if marriage is involved, which is usually the case when folks here cross for living.

Northwest Territories=snow, blow, cold, dark, lat 54+ if I remember right, but in any case well north of Edmonton, about 500 miles or so. Norman Wells is about 1000 miles nw of Edmonton.
But southern Canada is very nice, similar to here in the southern maritime provinces, Nova Scotia even milder. I've been on Fogo, an island N of Newfoundland, for 2 weeks in Oct one time when we never put on long sleeve coats, just a vest over our clothes, to go outside. Southern British Columbia is nice, too, but once you get into the interior you start to notice winter more.

SJ, in Maine