homestead - Re: [Homestead] Who's Da Best

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Who's Da Best
  • Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2008 23:23:22 -0800

That's more an eastern/southern thing. I do remember my nanny going on about someone being a no account and being common as dirt.

Dink would be the more commonly used term out here. At least as far as horses are concerned. All the training in the world, all the breeding in the world and the sucker is still a dink. Dinks are the type you never turn your back on. They'll kick you or nail you one way or another if you let your guard down for even five seconds. Had a
friend who called them "Elmers." <g>

Kinda like Teflon kniving his dying grandmother in the back with his
"typical white woman" comment. <g>

Lynda, who ain't no beauty queen either but used to model nylons for
magazine ads. Does that count ; )
----- Original Message ----- From: <paxamicus AT earthlink.net>

I think you and I have different associations with the phrase "common
as dirt".

In my line of work, it means, no manners, no smarts, and no redeeming
value, and has ZERO to do with her social economic position. A horse
who is as "common as dirt" is just an unmannered pig that needs to get
out of my barn. It could have cost $50,000 K and still be common as
dirt. Lynda can probably back me up on this, if she wants to. The
common as dirt part, not my feelings about Caribou Barbie.

Hahahahaah...I didn't really mean to say I was some beauty queen, I'm
not. But you asserted once that you thought most women were jealous of
her looks, and I just wanted to make sure you knew, that is really not
a driving factor for me.

And I didn't use it during a political debate.