homestead - Re: [Homestead] Home brew book

  • From: "Don Bowen" <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>, <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Home brew book
  • Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2008 17:05:38 -0500

> How come a regular filter and a bit of bleach, combined, wouldn't work? I
> remeber you discussing this before on this & farmer's list and I went to
> some of the filter sites, it is very confusing

The first problem is that bleach is not all that good for you. It does kill
the pathogens but it continues as it goes through you. It had been a while
since I used the fresh water tank on the trailer so I poured a bunch of
bleach in the tank. I then ran water in all the faucets until I smelled
bleach. As the trailer was hauled up the bleach and water sloshed around in
the tank. At the top of the hill I drained the tank and flushed it when
parked.

Bleach does kill pathogens but there is the chlorine smell and taste. A
ceramic filter will filter out the pathogens. They work well as a gravity
system but not as a whole house. UV systems kill the pathogens and can be
used as a whole house system. They tend to be a little more expensive than
filters.

>From my research I like the UV systems but may choose a ceramic filter as a
stand alone.

Don Bowen KI6DIU