homestead - Re: [Homestead] Brush hogging

  • From: "Don Bowen" <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Brush hogging
  • Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 07:17:22 -0400

Don Bowen KI6DIU
> I wonder if it's a thing you can get to put onto a brush hog that does
> not yet have it.

Yes, you can get an after market overriding clutche.

> Thanks for the guess as the the right size for it. I'd much rather
> take more turns around the field than go looking for PTO gears or
> transmission parts because I pushed it too hard. The H-4 tractor was
> tested at about 29 horse power (though the manual never says what the
> rated output is.) The service manual shows the width of the rear
> tires to be 65 inches, so a 5 foot brush hog would cut just about that
> wide.

These mowers are rated by size and power. Size is easy. The power rating
is in the gear box and that may take a little research. Your 30 hp is a
common size.

> From what I can see in the manuals, the W-4 I have is the wide front
> wheeled version of the H-4. The I-4 is the industrial version and
> came with a pulley and a different set of speeds in the transmission.
> (My tractor has the pulley engagement lever, but not the pulley
> itself. The plow frame seems to be in the way where the pulley would
> be, and I'm not sure what I'd use a pulley for, except an emergency
> generator.)

W stands for either Wide or Wheatland depending on who is telling. The W-4
is a plowing tractor used in the large fields such as wheat fields. The
Farmall H is a higher center of gravity tractor for row crops. There was
also an low profile O-4 used in orchards. The O-4 could be had with smooth
fenders that would not catch on trees.

All could be had with a belt pulley on the right side of the tractor. At
the time most farms had belt driven equipment. A pulley on an I-4 would be
rare as these were used mostly as tow motors to move stuff around industrial
sites.