homestead - Re: [Homestead] Insulation, homemade

  • From: SJC <indexer AT localnet.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Insulation, homemade
  • Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 16:00:35 -0400

Gene GeRue wrote:
I am pondering homemade insulation. Sawdust is abundant and cheap. It would seem good if it were very dry and if it were contained within a fire-resistant wall structure. Would also need tight vapor barrier to keep it dry and perfect caulking to keep bugs out.
Maybe check and see what they use for mixing with the densepacked cellulose for fire-retardant. I'd mix boric acid powder right in with it, I think, for bug repellent, because caulking won't keep out borers, then you've got bug highways. :-(

I'm still not sure you'd be better off than the densepacked cellulose....and I'm just about the tightest, most-stubbornly-committed to using what I already have person I know.....

SJ