homestead - Re: [Homestead] Insulation, homemade

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Insulation, homemade
  • Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 16:37:49 -0400

We used various fire retardants in our adhesive compositions where I
used to work. All adhesives for commercial aircraft(fabric glue, carpet
glues, plastic glues, etc.) had to meet certain flame retardant and
smoke retardant criteria. Most were easy to work with and relatively
non-toxic. I have no idea of prices, however.

Check out some of these links and write for pricing. It might be worth
it for peace of mind

http://www.firetect.com/ourproducts.htm

http://www.boraxfr.com/aboutmain.html

You mentioned boric acid, which is what made me think of FireBrake ZB (a
zinc borate powder that I have personal knowledge of-marketed for
rubbers and plastics, but you might make a solution of it for sawdust if
the price is right. Borax polymers have lots of potential.

http://www.flameseal.com/wooddesc.html
http://www.fireretardantsinc.com/w/wood_burn_barrier.html

I'm pretty sure Borax as well as Lime(building lime, not the citrus
fruit) would work for insect deterrents and fire prevention.

Also, I found this site:
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4299708.html
Which talks about using a colorant for sawdust as a fire preventative
technique. You could research that more.

Bev

SJC wrote:
Gene GeRue wrote:
I am pondering homemade insulation. Sawdust is abundant and cheap. It would seem good if it were very dry and if it were contained within a fire-resistant wall structure. Would also need tight vapor
barrier to keep it dry and perfect caulking to keep bugs out.
Maybe check and see what they use for mixing with the densepacked cellulose for fire-retardant. I'd mix boric acid powder right in with it, I think, for bug repellent, because caulking won't keep out borers, then you've got bug highways. :-(

I'm still not sure you'd be better off than the densepacked cellulose....and I'm just about the tightest, most-stubbornly-committed to using what I already have person I know.....

SJ

hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda