homestead - Re: [Homestead] Things one could long for in the country

  • From: Roy Morgan <k1lky AT earthlink.net>
  • To: vdjor AT yahoo.com, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Things one could long for in the country
  • Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 14:00:13 -0400

On Oct 26, 2008, at 11:03 PM, VAN DELL JORDAN wrote:

... my wife (then girlfriend) told me that her favorite decorating style was library.... the house we are rehabbing will have more bookshelves than bare walls.

I've mentioned the book by Rex Roberts: "Your Engineered House", written in the late 50's or early 60's (and later revised by Charlie Wing). Rex believed in bookshelves below most windows. His reasons were: love of reading, the books themselves, and their insulation properties. (His not-so-good insulation method was a single layer of aluminized building paper in all outside walls. the gas heat he used was quite cheap back then, apparently.

Roy

Roy Morgan
k1lky AT earthlink.net
529 Cobb St.