homestead - Re: [Homestead] Things one could long for in the country

  • From: "Don Bowen" <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Things one could long for in the country
  • Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 07:39:23 -0400

I think you will get more use out of a brush hog than a sickle bar mower.
You can keep sides of the lane mowed and the edges of fields. Be careful
near ponds where it is wet, getting stuck on not a lot of fun.

>From the pictures I think the hydrulics are more than likely a pump mounted
on the front of the engine and are for the front end loader. You will have
to plumb in something for a tow behind impliment. That will include a valve
and the quick disconneccts. That is unless there is an extra valve on the
control stand for the front end loader. The tractor has a front end loader
with the bucket removed ans a blade for snow installed.

> The folks who hayed our place said they'd bought a two-point hitch
> brush hog not too far away for $250. Unless I get a two- or three-
> point hitch (new ones are $800) for my tractor, I'd be looking for a
> draw bar pulled implement.

I did noe see anything othere than a tow hitch on your tractor. A two point
would be the IHC Fast hitch which your tractor does not have. You will need
a tow behind. Its heigth is set by the ram raising or lowering the hitch
and rear wheels.

Here is a King Cutter version
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200315415
_200315415

As opposed to a three point
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200325883
_200325883

The pull behind is more expensive than the three point because the three
point is much more common.

Don Bowen KI6DIU