homestead - Re: [Homestead] Things one could long for in the country

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: vdjor AT yahoo.com, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Things one could long for in the country
  • Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2008 23:22:14 -0400

Books are insulating. I wonder if anyone has ever calculated the R
value of a bookcase full of books?
In my dream-earthsheltered home, the one I have drawn out and planned
for the last 15 years, almost the entire back wall of the house and part
of one side is shelving for 'the library'. In my dream, one section of
bookcase moves and reveals a hidden door which accesses a
storage/utility area that runs the length of the house. All water
lines, hot water heaters, waste lines, etc. would be back there, as well
as a fireproof safe, the freezers, and pantry shelving for canned goods.
I originally had a panic room/safe room back there, too, but then I
realize that my entire house would serve that purpose, so I nixed the
idea...lol

Bev

VAN DELL JORDAN wrote:
I guess I realized I was going to get married when my wife (then
girlfriend) told me that her favorite decorating style was library.
We both have this fantasy of being able to move into a library, just
make enough room for a kitchen and a nook for bedroom. There are no
libraries available on our land but the house we are rehabbing will
have more bookshelves than bare walls. This is both for love of
reading and for the books themselves. Van Dell

--- On Sun, 10/26/08, Lynn Wigglesworth <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>