homestead - Re: [Homestead] Brush hogging

  • From: Roy Morgan <k1lky AT earthlink.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Brush hogging
  • Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 23:26:24 -0400

On Oct 27, 2008, at 3:55 PM, Don Bowen wrote:

I do not believe the International of that vintage had a
live PTO. On older tractors the PTO is part of the transmission and runs
off the tractor clutch,

Yes, I think this is right, based on my reading of the manual. It says to push in the clutch before pulling up on the PTO engage lever.

A live PTO will have a separate clutch operated off the same clutch pedal as
the main tractor clutch.

I think I don't have this and won't till I get a much newer tractor.

For tractors without live PTO make sure you get a brush hog with an
overriding clutch.

I will ask about this when I talk to the folks who apparently have a field full of old implements. sounds like a one-way coupling or free wheeling unit. The helicopter I flew had one at each engine input to the transmission so a dead or idling engine would not load down the rest of it.

I wonder if it's a thing you can get to put onto a brush hog that does not yet have it.

There are several brand names on the
market. The I-4 is about a 30 hp tractor and should swing a 5 ft brush hog.

I will most likely be looking for an old used but serviceable one. I can replace bearings, get welding done (two doors up the road) and in general do mechanical stuff. Though with the cold weather, I'd rather not do too much repairing this season.

Thanks for the guess as the the right size for it. I'd much rather take more turns around the field than go looking for PTO gears or transmission parts because I pushed it too hard. The H-4 tractor was tested at about 29 horse power (though the manual never says what the rated output is.) The service manual shows the width of the rear tires to be 65 inches, so a 5 foot brush hog would cut just about that wide.

From what I can see in the manuals, the W-4 I have is the wide front wheeled version of the H-4. The I-4 is the industrial version and came with a pulley and a different set of speeds in the transmission. (My tractor has the pulley engagement lever, but not the pulley itself. The plow frame seems to be in the way where the pulley would be, and I'm not sure what I'd use a pulley for, except an emergency generator.)

Roy

Roy Morgan
k1lky AT earthlink.net