homestead - [Homestead] Brush hogging

  • From: "Don Bowen" <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Brush hogging
  • Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 15:55:11 -0400

One very important thing I forgot to mention in the previous post about
brush hogging. I do not believe the International of that vintage had a
live PTO. On older tractors the PTO is part of the transmission and runs
off the tractor clutch, meaning that when you put your foot on the clutch,
any implement hooked to the PTO could keep the tractor moving. This is
especially a concern with tools like a brush hog with its inertia from the
fast spinning blade. If is not good to not be able to stop when you want.

A live PTO will have a separate clutch operated off the same clutch pedal as
the main tractor clutch. Usually you push half way to disengage the PTO and
all the way to disengage the transmission. This disconnect means that the
implement does not drive the tractor.

For tractors without live PTO make sure you get a brush hog with an
overriding clutch. This is usually an attachment at the gear head end of
the PTO. Power from the tractor to brush hog works well but the spinning
blades cannot power the PTO shaft there fore will not drive the tractor.

The tractor I have has what Ford calls a Selecto-O-Shift transmission. It
does have a live PTO but not a separate PTO clutch. A separate lever
engages the PTO on the fly. The problem is that when disengaged the PTO
still turns. It is easy to stop and no power can feed back but it is
unsettling.

By the way, Brush Hog is a brand name that has escaped its bounds. The one
I have is a King Kutter rotary mower. There are several brand names on the
market. The I-4 is about a 30 hp tractor and should swing a 5 ft brush hog.

Don Bowen KI6DIU