homestead - Re: [Homestead] was music, now farming, agricultural, other misc.

  • From: "Don Bowen" <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] was music, now farming, agricultural, other misc.
  • Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2008 19:23:09 -0400

> I will let Don tell you what I told him about his blood pressure at
> Heartwood.

Yes but as you mentioned about all that stress of figuring out the greens
all around you.

He said that if you have high blood pressure there you are not having enough
fun. His constant comment "If it is not fun, don't do it." My BP dropped
significantly while having fun at Heartwood. It was even somewhat fun
wrestling around a section of steel culvert in the mud and water with
slithery things brushing against your ankles.

Climbing on a tractor and spending a couple of hours brush hogging around
the Pine field was fun. Using shears and loppers to clear brush was fun and
great exercise. Riding the backhoe fender though the woods clearing the
stream road was fun, including the time I almost fell off and swung way out
with only one arm holding on. Kayaking the White was fun. Watching Rex
muscle around 18 foot long 5 by 5 poles was fun. Helping a neighbor cut and
split nine big logs for winter firewood was fun. Trying to make a chainsaw
run was less that fun but did not diminish the experience.

Sitting on the front porch, eating Heartwood Pizza, drinking a fine craft
beer, discussing the ills of the world, and watching the fireflies come out
as darkness approached. What could be more fun and do more to lower ones
blood pressure?

Don Bowen KI6DIU