homestead - Re: [Homestead] was music, now farming, agricultural, other misc.

  • From: Lynn Wigglesworth <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] was music, now farming, agricultural, other misc.
  • Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2008 14:59:08 -0400

bob ford wrote:

> When you have used the term "subsistence", over the years, I always think
> of some starving farmer in Africa, but I guess I'm just unimaginative.

I like the term 'sustainable' better. It means that the cycle can go on
forever without using up the resources. The land feeds the people and
animals, the people and animals take care of the land. If it's done
right, it just gets more and more productive without a lot of outside
inputs. Any input you do bring in (I collect bags of leaves from town,
add occasional minerals to the soil) is value added to your land.

The sun is the key...a friend calls sunshine "solar dollars" and is
always thinking of new ways to trap and use them. Gardens, pasture and
woodlands suck up sunshine and turn it into vegetables, or meat, or
milk, or eggs, or timber, with very little effort from humans. It really
is something for nothing.

Lynn Wigglesworth

When your life is on the go—take your life with you.
http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/115298558/direct/01/