homestead - Re: [Homestead] Old books

  • From: "Don Bowen" <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>, <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Old books
  • Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2008 19:05:21 -0400

> It has no value (most bibles, even very old ,huge,illustrated ones don't-
> they are just way too common) other than my memories.

Most of those old family bibles were sold by traveling salesmen. Often they
were overpriced cheap editions designed to hold a place of honor in the
family house as a status symbol. My bookbinder friend hates them because
people will bring them to him for repair and when he explains that it will
be very expensive and the books are not very good in the first place they
get angry with him. A lot of museums don't want them because there are so
many in such in bad condition.

The best bet if you have one is to record any family information and save
that then just use as a family keepsake.

Don Bowen KI6DIU