homestead - Re: [Homestead] was music, now farming, agricultural, other misc.

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] was music, now farming, agricultural, other misc.
  • Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2008 15:08:42 EDT

> >I can tell you, and I know I am in good company
> onthis list, that I get more satisfaction out of two days of
> backbreaking labor in the kitchen processing a deer than I could EVER
> get from working two days as a chemist(in a nice lab with a nice
> paycheck).

Hear, hear! Exactly. This morning I set out two beds of transplants of
tsa-tsoi and some other oreintal brassica whose name I've forgotten. It's
iffy,
the temps have to stay above about 15 degrees for the next six weeks or so
but
the odds are on my side. I NEVER got any such satisfaction out there in the
"world".

I'm also finishing up the doughnut-of-death to keep the deer out of my winter
greens. I go down to the garden area usually three times a day and in this
season I'm always packing in case one of Bambi's relatives show up. I've got
the last four or five deer that way. I automatically slow to a creep when I
am
about to round the last bend into the garden. The last seveal kills have
been at less than 20 yards.

There's an old chest freezer that doesn't get cold enough any more to safely
keep food, but it still works. The deer gets field dressed (with the lights,
kidneys, heart and sometimes the liver going for dog food) then skinned if I
have a use for the hide, otherwise not, then head and lower limbs removed,
quartered, and the quarters put in this 'meat locker' cold old freezer.

ThaT's the easy part. The most of the work is in the butchering.

After a kill we have a feast of barbequed ribs. Then on some special
occasion we have the loin. The whole cuts and roasts are coated with olive
oil and
frozen. All misc. pieces often get chopped up and made into deer tamales.

We are low on chevon this year since a bear helped himself to some of my
weathers so I'm gunning for Bambi big time this year.

James<BR><BR><BR>**************<BR>Play online games for FREE at Games.com!
All of your
favorites, no registration required and great graphics – check it out!
http://www.games.com?ncid=emlcntusgame00000001)</HTML>