homestead - Re: [Homestead] was music, now farming, agricultural, other misc.

  • From: bob ford <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] was music, now farming, agricultural, other misc.
  • Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2008 11:35:56 -0700 (PDT)

After all of the years on and off this list and reading and ignoring my
homesteading type magazines and books, this 'clicks" somehow.

a future , I might just be able to adequately handle in a realistic way.

When you have used the term "subsistence", over the years, I always think of
some starving farmer in Africa, but I guess I'm just unimaginative.

That's all I want to do. I can buy or lease the land and build an adequtate
shelter (and even buy or rent a small place in the nearby town, if my wife
doesn't 'fit' full time in the woods. But, I don't want to work 10 hours a
day just to feed myself.

I like being in the woods, I like watching and helping things grow;; I don't
mind working. But, I don't want to move from a stressed-out city existence
to a stressed-out rural existence. That's what I've been saying lately.
People I know in rural areas are more streesed out, especially lately, than
people, I'm around, in the city.

I make money in the city, doing very little . I've also lost most of my
personal wealth in the past few years, again, doing very little.

I'll be d*mned if I want to move out to the woods to drive to a job
somewhere else. Besides, I haven't worked for another man in decades, I
wouldn't know how, so it's not even really an option.

I don't have children, and I don't care about impressing anyone (haven't in
a long time). I just have to provide food, shelter, water, and some joy in
life. The latter, I've been missing for years. I don't much like anything,
anymore. This country is run by morons, who are elected by morons, who are
all better credentialed than me. I just want out.

fencing is an area of expense that I believe will be costlier to do right,
than almost any other upfront cost other than shelter. I have to learn more
about fencing. I don't know if my ideas will work, in the real world

After I finalize things with the revenuers, I'll still be flush enough to do
what I have described, I think. Maybe not as comfortably as I could have
before, but still ........bobford