homestead - Re: [Homestead] was music, now farming, agricultural, other misc.

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] was music, now farming, agricultural, other misc.
  • Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2008 15:37:26 -0800

YES! Just spent the day chopping tomatoes for salsa verde. I chopped up about 40 cups. Then did a bunch to make taco sauce. Time consuming and gets ya between the shoulder blades! Onions tomorrow and then peppers on Tuesday. Wednesday will be devoted to making a few dozen jars and they'll look so pretty sitting there on the counter waiting to be put in the cupboard. And they sure do taste good during the middle of winter. Store bought, yuke!

I was tickled pink last week when a lady decided that she didn't need two pressure canners and gave me the 22 qt. Mirro she had. Yippee! Christmas in October! Diamonds? NOT! They can keep them!!!

Lynda
.

I can tell you, and I know I am in good company
onthis list, that I get more satisfaction out of two days of
backbreaking labor in the kitchen processing a deer than I could EVER
get from working two days as a chemist(in a nice lab with a nice
paycheck). I enjoy providing for myself. It may me take me a bit
longer, but I can still do it.

Bev

Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:

They are likewise indoctrinated to believe that any sort of this work done
directly for themselves is odius, tedious, stoop and backbreaking, beneath them,
and at the same time beyond their means and capacity.

Make no mistake, though. It IS work. It is NOT for the Homo Sapien Modernus
who deems himself evolved beyond physical exertion, or else deteriorated
beyond it. It is for those who thrill and revel in pitting themselves against the
challenge of not only survival but thriving.

And as Bev has outlined, you don't just watlz onto a homestead one day and
take up animal husbandry. There are more ways to fail in every instance than
you have fingers and toes.

But can it be done? Yes, many of us are doing it. Many more people around
the world are doing it, and we stand on the shoulders of countless hundreds of
millions who have done it.
hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda