homestead - Re: [Homestead] was music, now farming, agricultural, other misc.

  • From: Lynn Wigglesworth <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] was music, now farming, agricultural, other misc.
  • Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2008 15:15:03 -0400

bob ford wrote:
> the "or else deteriorated beyond it" part does worry me. I haven't
> always been kind to my body, and I have grown 'soft' over the years; in
> addition to genetic/familial medical pre-dispositions. But, I'm going to
> get sick ,eventually , and die, somewhere. I suppose I should still try
> ....bobf

Homesteading is not for the weak, either of will or body. I know that I
HAVE to keep in shape or I'll hurt myself, and I can't afford to do
that. Any time I'm not doing enough physical work, I exercise daily. I'm
in better shape now than I was 20 years ago. Stronger, fitter, less
aches and pains than when I sat in an office all day. I'm planning on
adding weight training; hauling heavy things puts more strain on me as I
get older...pieces of equipment, 100 pound sacks of layer pellets, 300
pound dead sheep, a pile of T posts....it can take a lot out of a
person. I want to be one of those 90 year old women who can still rake
hay all day or throw a hay bale to the top of the stack. And carry a big
stick and threaten people. Oh, to be the respected old crone.

As an aside, Bob, I want to congratulate you on having goals and a
dream. In my recent dating experience, I've met SO many men approaching
retirement age who are done with life. No plans, no goals. Sit on the
sofa and wait to die. Ewww...I feel like my life is just revving
up...got rid of my husband, own my own farm, the kids a few years away
from being on their own. Now is MY time. I say go for your dreams! Even
if it doesn't work out the way you planned, you will have tried.

Lynn Wigglesworth