homestead - Re: [Homestead] was music, now farming, agricultural, other misc.

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: bobford79 AT yahoo.com, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] was music, now farming, agricultural, other misc.
  • Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2008 14:44:14 -0400

bob ford wrote:

That's all I want to do. I can buy or lease the land and build an
adequtate shelter (and even buy or rent a small place in the nearby
town, if my wife doesn't 'fit' full time in the woods. But, I don't
want to work 10 hours a day just to feed myself.

I like being in the woods, I like watching and helping things grow;;
I don't mind working. But, I don't want to move from a stressed-out
city existence to a stressed-out rural existence. That's what I've
been saying lately. People I know in rural areas are more streesed
out, especially lately, than people, I'm around, in the city.

Bob...you wouldn't necessarily work yourself to death..We used to raise two pigs every other year. We were supposed to do it again this year, but haven't because we still have pork in the freezer and now it is just the two of us. You could get by on some things just doing what we do, when the supply gets low, we find some piglets to raise...When we run out of turkey meat, we get some turkeys to raise...or sometimes we can trade for stuff. I have traded pork for venison in the past, for example.

I don't have children, and I don't care about impressing anyone
(haven't in a long time). I just have to provide food, shelter,
water, and some joy in life. The latter, I've been missing for
years. I don't much like anything, anymore. This country is run by
morons, who are elected by morons, who are all better credentialed
than me. I just want out.

As long as you don't carry a lot of debt or a huge morgage going in, you will probably be okay.

hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda