homestead - Re: [Homestead] was music, now farming, agricultural, other misc.

  • From: "Don Bowen" <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] was music, now farming, agricultural, other misc.
  • Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2008 15:39:47 -0400

> A while back we were talking about elitists.

That was me making a snide comment about the McCain reference to Obama
liking Arugula. I like it on my sandwich and my son made a very good
stuffed pork using that instead of Spinach.

> ..your first sentence there
> is pretty much my definition of what makes someone an elitist.
> Essentially, it is someone who is afraid to get dirty and bloody and who
> is afraid to work.

At one time I volunteered at an agriculture museum in Southern California
(The Antique Gas & Steam Engine Museum in Vista). I wrote a guided tour
explaining the various implements and what they were used for. At the time
there were actual farming operations going on before the county took away
the water. One day a woman stopped by in her new BMW. She had her 10 y.o
+/- daughter who was trying to be a 21 y.o. version of her mother. We asked
for her comments and she said with scorn "It is so dirty."

Don Bowen KI6DIU