homestead - Re: [Homestead] was music, now farming, agricultural, other misc.

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] was music, now farming, agricultural, other misc.
  • Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2008 14:38:04 -0400

Amen, James.
I just wrote a post outlining the work involved in putting a deer in the freezer. Of course I left out a few things like developing a food plot, building your 'deerstand' or blind, sighting in your gun, etc., but I think I made my point.
A while back we were talking about elitists...your first sentence there is pretty much my definition of what makes someone an elitist. Essentially, it is someone who is afraid to get dirty and bloody and who is afraid to work. I can tell you, and I know I am in good company onthis list, that I get more satisfaction out of two days of backbreaking labor in the kitchen processing a deer than I could EVER get from working two days as a chemist(in a nice lab with a nice paycheck). I enjoy providing for myself. It may me take me a bit longer, but I can still do it.

Bev

Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:

They are likewise indoctrinated to believe that any sort of this work done directly for themselves is odius, tedious, stoop and backbreaking, beneath them, and at the same time beyond their means and capacity.

Make no mistake, though. It IS work. It is NOT for the Homo Sapien Modernus who deems himself evolved beyond physical exertion, or else deteriorated beyond it. It is for those who thrill and revel in pitting themselves against the challenge of not only survival but thriving.

And as Bev has outlined, you don't just watlz onto a homestead one day and take up animal husbandry. There are more ways to fail in every instance than you have fingers and toes.

But can it be done? Yes, many of us are doing it. Many more people around the world are doing it, and we stand on the shoulders of countless hundreds of millions who have done it.
--
“Fear is the path to the Dark Side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda