homestead - Re: [Homestead] Processing a deer

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: bobford79 AT yahoo.com, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Processing a deer
  • Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2008 15:00:41 -0400

bob ford wrote:
You make a very good point, Bev. It has been many years since I have
shot or dressed animals for meat. I don't remeber dressing a deer taking nearly as long as you describe, and I remmember killing , dressing and cleaning squirrels before going to school in the a.m., but I'm no longer a young boy.....bobf

A squirrel, rabbit or chicken can be prepped quickly, in under 30
minutes-maybe even 15 if you are in good rhythm and have everything you
need set up.
I don't know where you grew up<g>, but global warming has made a
difference here. It used to be that people could and would kill hogs in
November..it was cold enough then. Now, even doing it in February is
risky because daytime temps can rise to 50.
Probably Bob, your Mom did a lot of prep work, as most women do. Around
here, men hunt and do the basic butchering, the gutting, skinning, the
large scale cuts, and woman do the fine work, the cleaning, the cutting,
the packaging. That was even more true, I'm sure, when you were a kid.
For my story, I combined those two..the man's 'job' and the woman's 'job'.

Bev

hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda