homestead - Re: [Homestead] Butternuts

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Butternuts
  • Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 16:55:28 -0700

On Oct 14, 2008, at 4:20 PM, EarthNSky wrote:

Sage, or anyone...
I have always thought I had a butternut tree here, but upon looking at
the book, I can't tell the difference between a butternut and a
butternut hickory. Is there an easy way to tell the difference?
Suspect tree doesn't quite look like other hickories and is growing on
the banks of the dry creek.

The nut is distinct from a black walnut or hickory. It is similar to black walnut but more elongated. It has more oil and is sweeter to the taste.