homestead - Re: [Homestead] Black Walnuts

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Black Walnuts
  • Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 17:20:54 EDT

> >For
> the best furniture wood I prefer a slow-growing tree with tight grain.
> These are candidates but I will refrain from cutting them as long as
> possible.

I use quite a bit of black walnut in my craft. A walnut log will have that
black (hence its name) heartwood and a white sapwood layer. The sapwood is
much softer wood and shrinks and checks a lot as it dries. A young tree, a
tree
less than thirty years old, and a tree that has had quick growth will have a
small heartwood and a large white sapwood. It will not make good furniture
(or
instruments). Very old trees (sixty or so) , or trees that have grown slowly
will have a very small sapwood and mostly dense heartwood.

The denisty of the wood varies greatly from tree to tree. For most
applications the denser the better, but I can make best use of the less dense
wood, and
fortunately for me this usually makes the lumber #2 grade. If it has a few
knots, checks, and/or sap pockets AND its less dense, I can most of the time
get it for #3 grade.

The closely related butternut wood is ideal as it is almost always lighter
weight and it's not very expensive by rather rare.

James<BR><BR><BR>**************<BR>New MapQuest Local shows what's happening
at your
destination. Dining, Movies, Events, News &amp; more. Try it out
(http://local.mapquest.com/?ncid=emlcntnew00000002)</HTML>